Monday, April 7, 2008

OB/GYN

So I am in my second week on the OB rotation. I have seen some really cool things and some really disturbing things. I got to deliver my first baby on Sunday morning. I also got to scrub into a C-section. That was wild. It was an emergency section. The baby's heart rate slowed down and we had to rush into the OR. Within five minutes we had taken a ten and a half pound monster baby out. It was crazy. The attending let me sew the mom back up by myself. It was pretty sweet. As for the not so fun stuff....let's just say I have smelled and seen some very unclean things. Yuck. Also, It is never fun to see a 8 1/2 months pregnant 14 year old girl with her 17 year old "baby daddy". Also I don't know if I could ever do this for a living. It just feels uncomfortable/unnatural to check a cervix. I will leave you with a few pictures that sum up this last week and a half...



6 comments:

chumly said...

Toys sure have come a long way. As a veteran I appreciated the VA blog. Thanks we need more people like you around.

Holli and Billy said...

HA HA HA! That made my day! I especially like the Prom picture. You don't see that every day!

Becky said...

As a momma of one of those "ten and a half pound monster babies" I am sure thankful that someone likes doing c-sections. But I do not envy you having this rotation. Do you really need to experience it to know you want nothing to do with that area of medicine?

Anonymous said...

haha...i am sooooooooo glad i didn't look like that for Prom! it actually sounds kinda interesting to me...idk ugh im sooooo lost Peter, wat should i do?? Wat would you say?? I have been thinking nurse...or midwife...maybe, is that good?

Em&Em said...

I ran upon your blog from Becky's blog. I love reading your blogs. You always have fascinating stories and make me laugh real hard.

Anonymous said...

Hey! Emily told me to check out your blog thinking I would like your medical humor.... why yes, yes, I do! That prom dress is freaking awesome!